Saturday, February 09, 2008

Strawberry Jam

This post is for our Northern friends who right now are not thinking about canning but, probably would like to so they could warm up their houses.
I was very disappointed this past summer when jungle camp was at the same time as strawberry season. Strawberry Jam is a Glidewell family staple. God's timing is so neat. Just as we were cleaning up our last jar of jam from 2006 Florida Strawberries came out. So I grabbed a flat and made some more jam. To God be the Glory! We love strawberry jam.
Does anyone know why our jam floats?

Answer is: Because I don't hot water bath them. I just turn them upside down on a towel and cover them with another towel until they have cooled. They automatically seal themselves. I learned this trick from Ball canning supplies and I only do it with my strawberry jam. It saves a lot of time and energy. I've been doing it for four years now and have not had any problems with broken seals.

3 comments:

~joanne said...

looks yummy...why don't you do freezer jam...space? Thanx for the card for Trent...he thought it was cute!

Rhonda said...

Ooohhhh...yum! We do freezer jam in our home. Strawberries are very expensive around here right now and I (we) just love them.

Amberlynne said...

I do jam the same way!! =) Its a nifty little trick. Anywhoo.. it looks real yummy!