Friday, October 23, 2009
Spotted Friend
Sam and I were walking to the hanger when Sam panicked and started crying. (Not unusual for him. Any parenting advise for an over sensitive boy?) Anyways, he started saying something about a snake. I looked over and saw the snake and the first thing I asked was did it bite you? Sam said "it did nothing." I was four feet in front of Sam I must have stepped right over it. One of the more experienced missionary ladies here on campus said when you walk always keep your eyes on the ground. Well I wasn't keeping my eyes on the ground. I then took a picture of it so I could look it up on line. It is a Mexican Hognose a harmless snake to humans.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I think freaking out over a snake that you do not know is probably not a bad idea... good job Sam!
I also think sensitive children are a blessing. Yes, you have to look out for them, you have to protect their sensitivities more than less sensitive kids. But that's what we do as parents, right, we guard our kids till they are strong enough to handle life. I guess I'd say, let Sam be Sam. Don't wish he was some other, tougher kid. Maybe he will be the one to take care of you when you are old, and you will be so thankful for that sensitivity! When he encounters tough situations, like this, try and see things from his side and talk him through it. Tell him this snake was ok, a friendly snake. Tell him he was smart to let you know there was a snake there so you could check on it for him. You want him to express himself differently? Tell him good way to do that (like: instead of freaking out, you might try telling me in a normal voice, ok buddy?) Tell him screaming is hard for your ears to understand and that you need words - if he could please try and do that it would help.(That will take him some time to learn, but you can try.) But don't try to make him less sensitive, he was probably made that way on purpose. I could be totally wrong here - you know this sweet boy better than anyone - but that's how it looks to me. I had some very sensitive boys, too. We could not watch scary movies like Wizard of Oz or Snow White! Yikes! No! But I think guarding the kids sensitivities was the right thing to do in our case. They grew into sensitive men. I like it! I think their wives probably like it too! (-: And they are good daddies to their little girls. Sensitive kids need a little more emotional protection. But only for a while... they grow up.
Just my perspective.
By the way - "Did it bite you" was sure the best first question! I might not have thought of that. being from Michigan, I assume all snakes are friendly. That rule certainly does not apply everywhere. And taking a picture to look it up was a great idea too.
Thanks Mama K that was good wisdom.
Post a Comment