Friday, January 11, 2008

Chinese New Year

Ok, so it's not really Chinese New year but we call it Chinese New year because we eat homemade Chinese on New years day. It is quite the production so we save it for a once a year activity but, we sure wish it could be more than once a year. We make egg rolls, pot stickers with ginger sauce, egg drop soup, crab rangoon, and fried rice which is nothing like the restaurants. Homemade fried rice at the Patterson home is what ever you want stirred into you fried rice. You get to stand next to the wok and point to everything you want put in. We also get something Thai if my brother in law is home for the holiday since he is Thai. I do have to say it is a gut punishing holiday as we all walk away very full.

Egg roll ingredients took us two hours to chop up all those veggies. We were ready to eat after all that work.

The artery clogger.

Crab rangoon and egg rolls to die for!

Ok all those plates are not mine. They belong to my children who are not all that excited to eat Chinese. My Dad trying to participate. He isn't eating very well because of being sick but even if you are sick who can pass up Chinese? By the way, My father developed a yeast infection in his mouth because of all the antibiotics the hospital pumped into him. He kept complaining that all food tasted too salty.

We had the VanderWeide family over to celebrate the New year and show them how to make Chinese. Thanks VanderWeide family for coming and putting up with us.

Who has a lot of sisters? I couldn't resist posting this cute picture.

2 comments:

~joanne said...

I'm not a real Chinese fan but it looks like a fun tradition! Are you back in Florida?

Anonymous said...

Too funny. I have pictures like that of my older boys when they were young, but I am afraid my laptop would get demolished if I posted them. :)